Come meet us!
In November 2021 Epic Challenge Joensuu is bringing you a new kind of challenge that focuses on rescue operations during forest fires
04.11.2021 - 08.11.2021 | Joensuun Tiedepuisto
During the hackathon maximum 20 students, who are selected based on applications, will work in teams with the goal of developing a new creative concept to the challenge of improving rescue operations during forest fires. Teams with the most creative solution concept will be awarded at the end of the hackathon.
A creative concept, or idea, is by definition novel and valuable. In other words, the idea must be new yet feasible and effective in solving the problem.
Who are organizing this hackathon? Karelia University of Applied Sciences, University of Eastern Finland, Photonics Finland, PREIN - Finnish flagship for photonics research and innovations, The European Optical Society (EOS) and North Karelia Rescue Services.
This Epic Challenge hackathon is part of the Month of Photonics 2021.
What happens during the hackathon? Each day will focus on a specific stage in a problem solving and innovation process: 1. Day: Knowledge capture and problem immersion 2. Day: Creative concept generation 3. Day: Concept evaluation
Teams have a chance to learn about these stages and the related skills. They then can choose, which skills and advice they want to implement themselves. At the end of each day teams will be evaluated based on their performance and effectiveness as a team.
During the hackathon, the teams can contact the industry and research partners of the event in order to benefit from the knowledge they have.
What are the benefits of participation? All the participating students will get a personal certificate of participation. Best teams and concepts will also be awarded at the end of the hackathon.
After the hackathon, all participants will continue to have access to the skills and method catalogue they were introduced to during the event. Also, after the hackathon, each team will have an opportunity to continue developing their idea further by applying to the Draft Program, if they so choose. How can I apply? You can apply to the program by sending an application email to email@example.com. The email should include:
• Your contact information • The school, program/field and year of study • Your motivation to join the hackathon • Short descriptions of maximum 3 creative ideas or projects you have been involved in developing in the past. These projects can be related to your past or current hobbies, schools or paid jobs. • Deadline for applications is Wed 27.10.2021. • All applicants will be notified of acceptance by Fri 29.10.2021 • Application can be written in Finnish or English. • During the hackathon the language used will be English.
29.08.2019 - 30.08.2019 | klo 09:00 | Botania, Heinäpurontie 70, 80110 Joensuu
A Trip to Space - Lecture by Astronaut Dr. Charles Camarda (w/ Finnish translations)
24.05.2019 - 24.05.2019 | klo 17:30 | Carelia-sali, Joensuu
Epic Student: Hang out with an Astronaut!
24.05.2019 - 24.05.2019 | klo 14:00 | Spark Joensuu, Science Park Joensuu, building 3A, 4th floor
Lecture for Natural Science Researchers & Students - Dr. Camarda
23.05.2019 - 23.05.2019 | klo 12:00 | UEF Metria campus, room M100
Epic Challenge International Competition 2019
21.05.2019 - 21.05.2019 | klo 11:00 |
Lecture for Educators - Dr. Charles Camarda
20.05.2019 - 20.05.2019 | klo 14:00 | UEF Natura campus, room N100
Lecture and Networking event with Dr. Charles Camarda
20.05.2019 - 20.05.2019 | klo 10:00 | Spark Joensuu, Science Park Joensuu, building 3A, 4th floor
International Epic Challenge Showroom
24.04.2019 - 24.04.2019 | klo 15:00 | Joensuun Tiedepuisto Länsikatu 15, 80110 Joensuu
Q&A with astronaut Dr. Charles Camarda
23.01.2019 - 23.01.2019 | klo 17:30 | Paja, Sortavalankatu 2
Career and recruitment day!
22.11.2018 - 22.11.2018 | klo 12:00 | Karelia-amk, Wärtsilä-kampus, Karjalankatu 3, 80200 Joensuu
First Ever Epic Challenge Competition "aka" Epic hangout
10.10.2018 - 10.10.2018 | klo 16:00 | Suunnittelupaja, Sortavalankatu 2, 80200, Joensuu.
- Emergency Challenge - Teams will be controlling RC-cars remotely via live video feed, their goal is map certain area and create a shortest path between discovered objects.
- Greenhouse Challenge - In this challenge teams will need to collect as much light as possible from three different light sources and guide the light trough 30 cm regolith. Under the regolith light needs to be distributed as evenly as possible for artificial plant leaves.
- Mars-suit Challenge - Student will suit-up a Mars-suit prototype and go through the obstacle/dexterity course as fast as possible while heart rate is monitored and it can't exceed 80% of the maximum.
- 16.15-17.00 Company Presentations EntoCube TBA
- 17.00-17.15 Coffee & Pulla
- 17.15-17.20 Opening words for the First Ever Epic Challenge Competition
- 17.20-18.20 First Round of Competitions - Emergency Challenge
- 18.25-19.00 Second Round of Competitions - Greenhouse Challenge
- 19.05-20.05 Third Round of Competitions - Mars-suit Challenge
- 20.05-> Closing Ceremony and After Party