What is it all about?
Fall 2021 Epic Challenge in Joensuu will be organized as a 3-day hackathon during 4.-8.11.2021 (Thu, Fri & Mon). Each day, the program will start at 14:00 and last until 18:00. The hackathon will take place at Joensuu Science Park.
During the hackathon maximum 20 students, who are selected based on applications, will work in teams with the goal of developing a new creative concept to the challenge of improving rescue operations during forest fires. Teams with the most creative solution concept will be awarded at the end of the hackathon.
A creative concept, or idea, is by definition novel and valuable. In other words, the idea must be new yet feasible and effective in solving the problem.
Who are organizing this hackathon?
Karelia University of Applied Sciences, University of Eastern Finland, Photonics Finland, PREIN - Finnish flagship for photonics research and innovations, The European Optical Society (EOS) and North Karelia Rescue Services.
This Epic Challenge hackathon is part of the Month of Photonics 2021.
What happens during the hackathon?
Each day will focus on a specific stage in a problem solving and innovation process:
1. Day: Knowledge capture and problem immersion
2. Day: Creative concept generation
3. Day: Concept evaluation
Teams have a chance to learn about these stages and the related skills. They then can choose, which skills and advice they want to implement themselves. At the end of each day teams will be evaluated based on their performance and effectiveness as a team.
During the hackathon, the teams can contact the industry and research partners of the event in order to benefit from the knowledge they have.
What are the benefits of participation?
All the participating students will get a personal certificate of participation. Best teams and concepts will also be awarded at the end of the hackathon.
After the hackathon, all participants will continue to have access to the skills and method catalogue they were introduced to during the event. Also, after the hackathon, each team will have an opportunity to continue developing their idea further by applying to the Draft Program, if they so choose.
How can I apply?
You can apply to the program by sending an application email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should include:
• Your contact information
• The school, program/field and year of study
• Your motivation to join the hackathon
• Short descriptions of maximum 3 creative ideas or projects you have been involved in developing in the past. These projects can be related to your past or current hobbies, schools or paid jobs.
• Deadline for applications is Wed 27.10.2021.
• All applicants will be notified of acceptance by Fri 29.10.2021
• Application can be written in Finnish or English.
• During the hackathon the language used will be English.